Tax Article Archives

Read about some of John’s more memorable experiences navigating the conflicting sections of the Internal Revenue Code.

View articles


Receive Immediate Attention

Directly Contact John via his contact form or call 720.234.1177

Read more

John Head Shot

Ask a Question

Ask John a question and get a written response.

Ask a Question

Tax Articles

IRS Soft notice

The IRS is testing a pilot program in which it will mail a new notice to about 31,000 taxpayers who may be under reporting income on tax returns. The IRS designed the so-called soft notice to encourage taxpayers to self-correct tax returns and to increase voluntary compliance among an estimated 15 million potential cases of…


Debit Cards for Social Security Benefits

The debit cards are targeted to the 4 million Social Security recipients who have no bank accounts. Social Security recipients electing to sign up for the debit program will receive a Master-Card debit card, which will be reloaded each month with benefit payments and secured with a personal identification number. The cards can be used…


Gambling winnings and losses

Gambling winnings are fully taxable and must be reported on your tax return. You must file Form 1040 and include all of your winnings. Gambling income includes, among other things, winnings from lotteries, raffles, horse races, and casinos. It includes cash winnings and also the fair market value of prizes such as cars and trips.…


Online Payment Agreement with IRS

The Internal Revenue Service introduced several new features to the interactive Online Payment Agreement application which will make it easier for taxpayers and their authorized representatives to make changes to existing installment agreements. The system will now permit: Individuals to revise their payment due dates and/or amounts on existing agreements. Individuals to revise existing extensions…


Help from the Taxpayer Advocate Service

If you have tried to resolve tax problems with the IRS and are still having problems or facing economic harm, you have somewhere to turn: seek the free assistance of the Taxpayer Advocate Service. The Taxpayer Advocate Service is an independent organization within the IRS whose employees assist taxpayers in these circumstances or those who…


Tax Appeal Rights

If you disagree with the IRS about the amount of your tax liability or about proposed collection actions, you have the right to ask the IRS Appeals Office to review your case. IRS Publication 1, Your Rights as a Taxpayer, explains some of your most important taxpayer rights. During their contact with taxpayers, IRS employees…