Tax Article Archives

Read about some of John’s more memorable experiences navigating the conflicting sections of the Internal Revenue Code.

View articles


Receive Immediate Attention

Directly Contact John via his contact form or call 720.234.1177

Read more

John Head Shot

Ask a Question

Ask John a question and get a written response.

Ask a Question

Tax Articles

Tax Appeal Rights

If you disagree with the IRS about the amount of your tax liability or about proposed collection actions, you have the right to ask the IRS Appeals Office to review your case. IRS Publication 1, Your Rights as a Taxpayer, explains some of your most important taxpayer rights. During their contact with taxpayers, IRS employees…


What to do if you receive an IRS notice

For more information about IRS notices and bills, see IRS Publication 594, What You Should Know about the IRS Collection Process. Information about penalties and interest charges is available in IRS Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax. Each year, the IRS sends millions of letters and notices to taxpayers to request payment of taxes, notify…


Amending Your Tax Return

The IRS usually corrects math errors or requests missing forms – such as W-2s or schedules – when processing an original return. In these instances, do not amend your return. However, you should file an amended return if any of the following were reported incorrectly: Your filing status Your dependents Your total income Your deductions…


Where is My Tax Refund?

If you file a complete and accurate paper tax return, your refund should be issued about six to eight weeks after the IRS receives your return. If you file your return electronically, your refund is issued in about half that time — even faster if you choose direct deposit. You can check on the status of your…


Tax Payment Options Available

The Internal Revenue Service reminds taxpayers who owe but can’t pay in full that several options are available to help them meet their tax obligations and save money by the April 15 filing deadline. Taxpayers should file their return on time, pay as much as they can with their return. Interest and penalties add up…


Deducting Vehicle Donations

If you donated a car or other vehicle to a qualified charitable organization and intend to claim a deduction you should review the special rules that apply to vehicle donations. You can deduct contributions to a charity only if you itemize deductions on Schedule A of Form 1040. Generally, the amount you may deduct for…


Deducting Costs of Refinancing Your Home

If you refinanced your home mortgage you may be eligible to deduct some costs associated with getting the new loan. The term “points” is used to describe certain charges paid to obtain a home mortgage. Here are some things to remember when deducting points: Taxpayers who itemize deductions generally may be able to deduct the points paid…


New Form for Employees Misclassified as Independent Contracts

IRS Form 8919, Uncollected Social Security and Medicare Tax on Wages, may be used if you were an employee and your employer did not withhold your share these taxes and you meet certain criteria. These taxes will then be credited to you social security records. Generally, a worker who received a Form 1099 for services provided…