Tax Article Archives

Read about some of John’s more memorable experiences navigating the conflicting sections of the Internal Revenue Code.

View articles


Receive Immediate Attention

Directly Contact John via his contact form or call 720.234.1177

Read more

John Head Shot

Ask a Question

Ask John a question and get a written response.

Ask a Question

Tax Articles

IRS Notice and/or Letter

If you receive a letter or notice from the IRS, it will explain the reason for the correspondence and provide instructions. Many of these letters and notices can be dealt with simply, without having to call or visit an IRS office. The notice you receive covers a very specific issue about your account or tax…


Amend Your Tax Return to correct errors and/or omissions

If you forgot to include some income or to take a deduction on your tax return – you can correct it by amending your tax return. In some cases, you do not need to amend your tax return. The Internal Revenue Service usually corrects math errors or requests missing forms – such as W-2s or…


What to do if the IRS owes you money

The Internal Revenue Service may have money for you. Was your income below the limit that requires you to file a tax return? If so, you may still be due a refund. If you have not filed a prior year tax return and are due a refund, you should consider filing the return to claim…


Identity Theft and Your Taxes

Taxpayers need to be careful to protect their personal information. Identity thieves use many methods to steal personal information and then they use the information to file a tax return and get a refund. Here are 10 things the IRS wants you to know about identity theft so you can avoid becoming the victim of…


Business Miles Denied

Sam Freeman worked as an independent contractor for Parts Distribution Xpress during tax years 1999 and 2000. His wife Wanda was in a covenant not to compete from her former employer and was obligated not to work for a parts distribution company. However, Sam contended that Wanda also worked for Parts Distribution Xpress. Based on…


Cost Segregation Depreciation

For income tax depreciation purposes there are two major types of assets: Sec. 1250 real property and Sec. 1245 personal property. When owners acquire commercial property or tenants invest in leasehold improvements, many only allocate the purchase price between land (non-depreciable) and building (depreciated as a 39-year asset over 40 years). However, by taking advantage…


‘Making Work Pay’ Tax Credit

This credit – still available for 2010 – equals 6.2 percent of a taxpayer’s earned income. The maximum credit for a married couple filing a joint return is $800 and $400 for other taxpayers. Eligible self-employed taxpayers can benefit from the credit by evaluating their expected income tax liability and, if they are eligible, by…